Sunday, June 3, 2012

Goodnight, Beautiful by Dorothy Koomson



            Nova is the perfect friend, she will do anything for her childhood friend, Mal. Mal and his wife want a kid more than anything, but Mal's wife can’t have kids. After weeks of heated discussion, the couple decides that the perfect surrogate mother would be Nova because she is so close to Mal and would allow them to help her throughout the pregnancy, even though his wife is extremely jealous of her. The plot thickens when Mal realizes that he might have some hidden feelings for Nova and his wife gives him an ultimatum, either the baby or her. Mal, being a faithful husband, chooses his wife. At first Nova struggles to take care of her son, Leo, but never does she beg Mal for anything. Not until her poor soon is diagnosed as comatose. The doctors said his chance of revival was so slim that she should start saying goodbye. Nova decided that it was her responsibility to notify Mal.
            When I first started the story, Mal, the funny, understanding and yet always cautious friend, was my favorite character. However, I came to see him as a coward, who, unlike Nova, couldn’t face conflict. He never has the guts to stand up for what he believes in. Nova, on the other hand will fight for what she believes in. All the way to through the end, she proves that she is not only the perfect friend, but also the perfect mother.  
This story is a heartbreaking tale that truly demonstrates how dedicated someone can be. It shows the roller-coaster life that comes with motherhood. But what I liked most is when Nova says to her comatose, seven year old son, Leo, “I love you and its okay now. I’ll see you again soon, so I won’t say good bye…”. Within minutes, her son finally lets go. I believe Nova has the maturity to understand that those words were exactly what her son needed to here before he left. She knew that she would see him again some day and that this farewell wasn’t forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment